Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memorial Day and other things

Well this week went fast. I was very busy opening up a house for the summer and of course working. Thankfully the home owners are back and I have a few less responsibilities till fall. Yesterday I took the day off from being an organist and spent the day being an organizer. There were numerous tasks to complete in order to catch up for being gone all week and to prepare for our party today. Today I went to church, had the second to last choir practice for the year and then came home and relaxed in my hammock. Then after a walk to pick flowers our guest arrived and the afternoon was full of little kids, good food, more walks, visits to the animals and the rosary. Clean up was a breeze and we discussed plans for tomorrow; Memorial Day.
Growing up on a farm Memorial Day is best known as the spring day when the garden is planted and the odds and end to do list is worked on. Not that we do not spend time remembering those who have served and died for our country. It is hard to forget that with five brothers either ex-military or currently serving in the military. I know a little off military life and can understand the sacrifices made for family and country. But to me parades aren't the way to celebrate (I don't like any type of parade for many reasons) but did our soldiers die so we could sit around watching bands play, cars and trucks drive by and people throw candy around. It just doesn't sit well with me. Rather, spending a day with family, working and enjoying life to its fullest by making things better seems to be more appropriate. I can remember so many memorial days being one of the only days my grandfather and dad would take off from field work and we would spend the day cleaning windows, putting up bird houses, fixing broken furniture..... Just generally making things better. Planting the garden was a family effort and I miss spending the time with my brothers picking out plants and working the ground. That is what memorial days of my past were like; family time.
Tomorrow will be similar since most of us have off from school or work.... But others will have to go to work and this year the garden will not be planted. Memorial Day is a week early so prudence says wait to put plants in that may yet be hurt by a frost. But we will still listen to music, eat picnic food and enjoy each other's company while we share the work and joy of creating a home.

The Farmer's Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment