Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day five

I love springtime!!! The birds, the warm ground, pulling weeds, cleaning things up.... The list goes on and on. What I dislike is the heat! 'Nuf said, I am not blogging in order to complain. But why am I blogging? So far my posts all read like diary entries and probably boring. I guess I am blogging to figure out how to write, to talk to people and share with them stories about my days as a farmer's daughter. And as I like rules, I am going to set some. Besides writing everyday I plan on sharing a memory and a current experience.
To begin; bikes, biking, and training wheels.
I can remember my first "bike": it was a red tricycle with a strawberry seat and I was very upset when  my brothers rode it and broke it. After that I remeber getting a big girl bike, a pink two wheeler with white tassels on the ends of the handlebars. I loved it and would race all over the farm, up and down the barn floors, under electric fences and across the bumpy lane ways. Somewhere in between those two memories I must have had another bike, a medium two wheeler: and that is where the training wheels come in. I remember being given the little wheels, and I vaguely remember using them.... But I cannot remember to what bike they were attached.
Now fast forwarded some twenty years. I now have two bikes; a red one speed and a purple 10 speed. The one speed I was given a year before I left for college and other then a few family bike rides I rarely used it. On the other hand once I started college that bike got me all over campus for the greater part of two years. Shortly after graduating I was given the 10'speed in order to keep up with my friends on their bike rides. Using it I have grown to have a new appreciation for the term "I went for a bike ride". Miles and miles I have gone, and love spending time with friends yet.... The other day I pulled out my one speed, fixed it up and went for a quick two mile ride. And boy have I missed the simple joy of biking around the farm, bumping over wheel ruts and coasting around the barns. Not only that, but my eldest nephew just inherited my training wheels and has gone from walking beside his bike to actually riding it. I look forward to zooming around the farm with him.

The farmer's daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment